An Employee Assistance Program is a benefit paid for by your employer to help you with things that interfere with your optimal behavioral health. These can include:
- emotional problems such as anxiety, depression, aggression, anger, or grief
- alcohol/drug use that is getting in the way of your relationships or work
- stress from work, financial challenges, health problems, or major life changes (both positive and negative)
- work issues including challenges with coworkers or supervisors, changes in job duties or responsibilities
- relationship challenges including communication problems, sexual dysfunction, separation/divorce, family member illness or death, parenting concerns, family changes including having a new baby or caring for aging parents
The number of sessions included in your benefit is dependent on your employer’s contract with our office. Call us to find out what your benefit is!
Stress Relief Resources
When we feel stress, our fight/flight system get activated. The purpose of this is to keep us safe from physical harm. Unfortunately, this system doesn’t know the difference between a physical stressor that we can run away from and an emotional stressor that we can’t. Our best defense, is to teach our brain to focus its attention on something else to allow that system to calm down. This takes some practice but it doesn’t take hours every day. A few moments of deep breathing or a short guided meditation can give us the practice that we need. Check out some of these resources below.
- Try this guided meditation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p_yaNFSYao
- Breath2Relax https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/breathe2relax/id425720246?mt=8
- Hear and Now https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hear-and-now/id977650202?mt=8
Tapping (Emotional Freedom Technique) Resources
Emotional Freedom Technique/Tapping is a strategy that you can use to reduce undesirable feeling states including anxiety, physical pain, negative self-talk, etc. Once you learn the tapping points and come up with your script, the technique mobilizes the energy meridians which helps improve your feelings state. Check out these resources for more information!
- Dr. Mercola EFT Resources https://eft.mercola.com/
- The Tapping Solution (EFT) https://www.thetappingsolution.com/
Positive Psychology Resources
How can we feel “happier”? Positive psychology helps us focus more on what is good in our life, what we truly enjoy and how to leverage that to improve our outlook and feelings. Check out these links to find out more!
- The Pursuit of Happiness https://www.pursuit-of-happiness.org/science-of-happiness/
- TedTalk-The New Era of Positive Psychology with Martin Seligman https://www.ted.com/talks/martin_seligman_on_the_state_of_psychology?language=en